Director of Emergency Services, Seattle, WA
Director of Emergency Services
Type Full Time
Department 7230 Emergency Room
Shift 1st, Days
Posted Date 1/9/2017
Job Location US-WA-Seattle
New Grads? No
More information about this job:
Join our award-winning team at UW Medicine - Northwest Hospital & Medical Center. We're proud of the acclaim we've received for our excellence in patient care and safety. Among the local, regional and national recognition we've received are:
- The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award
- The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award
- This is the second consecutive year Northwest Hospital has achieved both the Spine Surgery Excellence Award and a ranking among the top 10 percent in the nation for spine surgery.
- The Stroke Care Excellence Award
- Winner of the Health Grades Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety for the last three years in a row, we’re also one of the safest places to get care – among the top 5% in the country.
UW Medicine includes Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest.
Northwest Hospital & Medical Center is a full-service, non-profit community hospital, offering comprehensive medical, surgical and therapeutic services. With 281 beds, more than 1900 employees and a world-class medical staff, we provide innovative, technologically advanced care on a patient-friendly, easy-access campus just north of Seattle.
Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
As a UW Medicine - Northwest Hospital & Medical Center employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
We’re interested in learning more about you and appreciate your taking the time to apply online. UW Medicine - Northwest Hospital & Medical Center is committed to employing a diverse workforce. EOE
UW Medicine – Northwest Hospital and Medical Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome job applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected characteristic. Minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The Director of Emergency Services provides leadership, direction, and administration of all aspects of the Emergency Services Department. The director is responsible for administrative functions, including strategic and operational planning, including staffing and directing personnel. He/she provides a mechanism for ensuring quality care, issue resolution, orientation, and ongoing competency of personnel. The director proactively plans and markets programs and services to the medical staff, EMS, and community.
The Director collaborates with appropriate management, medical staff, and leaders in developing, implementing, reviewing, revising and monitoring department-wide performance improvement activities including clinical and customer service improvements.
The Director is responsible for building a strong team that ensures high quality outcomes. The Director fosters collaborative relationships and teamwork within the Emergency Department, the facility, the community, the county, EMS, and other departments and disciplines.
- Bachelor of Science, Nursing is required.
- Master's degree in related field strongly preferred.
- Must have strong understanding of and demonstrate skill in leadership, strategic management, professional development, change management, communications, team building, continuous quality improvement, problem solving, decision making, innovation, financial management of operations, and stewardship of resources.
Licensure, Registration, Certification
- Current Washington State RN Licensure is required.
- Certification in Emergency Nursing required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification preferred.
- Maintain BLS/ACLS (American Heart Association) certification, if required for the position.
- CPI required within 90 days of hire/transfer date for Emergency Services Departments.
- Prefer national certification and/or professional organization membership.
- Five years management experience in the Emergency Room setting. Proven experience in change management and driving patient and employee satisfaction.
- This job requires ability to communicate clearly in English (verbal and written) with all stakeholders (providers, staff, patients, regulatory bodies).
Physical Demand Level: Sedentary
In an 8-hour workday, must be able to-
Lift / Carry 10 pounds occasionally
As required, must be able to-
Sit, Stand, Walk, Bend, Squat, Kneel, Crawl, Climb and Reach above shoulders
Push and Pull
Perform fine motor functions
Must possess functional vision, hearing, and speech in order to communicate effectively with clients, client advocates, and staff.