Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator, San Jose, CA
Requisition Number 17-0163
Post Date 2/16/2017
Title Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator
Location Corporate HQT
Job Status Full Time
Work Hours 40
City San Jose
Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at www.satellitehealth.com.
The Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator’s primary responsibility is to educate and train staff to enable them to carry out their clinical home therapies job responsibilities in a compassionate, complete and efficient manner.
The Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator will work with the Director of Home Dialysis training and education, to organize and facilitate the training and competency programs utilized within the Clinical Department when performing duties and responsibilities for home therapy. This will include but is not limited to development and administration of training programs, checklists, and staff competency exams as well as provision of ongoing continuing education programs as it relates to managing home patients.
The position requires professional knowledge of a wide range of nursing concepts in order to serve as a consultant to the Interdisciplinary Team to attain and maintain optimum quality and appropriateness of care in accordance with standards of practice, performance, and state and federal requirements.
The Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator is an integral part of the team with the opportunity to train staff the nursing care processes for Home Therapies. The Home Dialysis Trainer/Educator will be assigned to meet the staff training needs.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned. All employees must work in accordance with Satellite’s I-CARE Standards. Employees must abide by all Satellite’s standards of patient care, patient’s rights and ethical treatment, and adhere to safety and quality programs.
- Directly responsible for ensuring that the integrity of the established Clinical Training Programs for Clinical staff are delivered in their entirety without deviation; provides educational programs to develop clinical staff skills and competencies needed to meet all applicable regulatory agency requirements
- Makes recommendations when new knowledge indicates a need for change in policies and procedures, in cooperation with Clinical Managers, Regulatory and the Corporate Policy and Procedure Committee
- Provides instructions to Trainees and existing employees in adherence to infection control policies and procedures, as needed
- Improves and updates Training Programs and work practices by reviewing current literature and appropriate evidence-based educational resources
- Gives input for performance evaluations of new trainees and active clinical staff when requested
- Assists Territory Directors in training and orientation of new Center Managers
- Responsible for driving the Satellite Healthcare culture through values and customer service standards
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying Education: Graduation from an accredited nursing school; BSN preferred.
Education: Graduation from an accredited nursing school; BSN preferred
- Five (5) years of experience as a Nephrology Nurse with dialysis experience
- A combination of in-center, acute, peritoneal and home hemodialysis highly preferred
- Experience in adult education preferred
- Experience with curriculum development preferred
Licenses/Certifications: Current state RN licensure; obtain and maintain RN licensure in states as required; current Healthcare Provider certification (CPR); CNN/CDN Certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of renal function and therapies; maintains a current evidence-based knowledge regarding ESRD, treatment and current practices in dialysis and uses this knowledge to act as a resource for the clinical staff
- Able to demonstrate open communication and critical thinking skills
- Competent and in-depth knowledge regarding the use of Electronic Health Records
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete projects independently
- Promotes a teamwork approach by offering information, advice, and assistance to all clinical staff in a positive, courteous and cooperative manner
- Knowledge and competencies in general nursing with expanded training and knowledge in the care of the renal patient
- Must be able to independently travel to assigned locations
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and satisfactorily communicate in English