Chief Strategy Officer, Phoenix, AZ
Chief Strategy Officer
Job Number 200028
Facility Banner Health (Corporate)
Department Banner Health (Corporate) - Admin-Corp-SS
Position Type FT: Full-Time
Internal Code A ..
Street Address 2901 N. Central Ave
Internal Code B ..
City & State US-AZ-Phoenix
Posting Category Executive - Non-Clinical
New Grad No
This position is part of the system senior leadership team (SLT), reporting directly into the President & CEO, Banner Health, and is accountable for setting the strategic direction and driving success for the organization. This position is responsible for planning, directing and evaluating the strategic plan and goals to position Banner for success and ensure a collaborative, open and in inclusive work environment that is focused on quality of outcomes and superior service orientation. This position also serves as a role model to staff across the system; representing Banner in a positive manner both within and outside the organization.
- Sets the strategic direction for the organization, including providing clear expectations, courageous leadership and innovative and inclusive solutions to ensure the successful achievement of desired and integrated strategic business objectives, and outcomes including, but not limited to, growth, customer experience, accountability and patient care.
- Leads senior leaders across the organization; fostering a culture of accountability and innovative thought leadership for achieving plans and performance targets. Provides direction and counsel to identify and resolve the most complex issues and problems impacting initiatives and operations. Develops staff to ensure continued professional growth and talent management to support the growth and long-term success of the organization.
- Builds and supports effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external stakeholders and organizations, ensuring and fostering a high level of collaboration in order to develop partnerships, coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and/or resolve problems. Promotes and models positive relationships among various entities.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and consistent application of effective organizational policies and practices. Maintains an effective internal control environment to ensure that assets are safeguarded, policies and operating procedures are followed, necessary controls are effective and efficient, proper compliance with existing laws and regulations achieved, and operations comply with the legal and regulatory parameters in which it operates.
- Develops, reviews, and monitors financial and performance outcomes to assure attainment of organizational objectives. Maintains an effective budgeting and capital planning discipline in conjunction with operational management to ensure planned revenues, expenses, and/or profit goals are met.
- Ensures the integration of new and innovative operations and/or services by providing leadership that maximizes management staffs contributions and assures timely decision-making reflective of the mission, vision, and values of the system.
- Serves as a staff resource to the organizations Governing Board and/or applicable committees. Develops, implements, and reports to the Board on strategic initiatives, outcomes, and measurements. May serve on applicable Board subcommittees.
Strong knowledge of healthcare operations as normally obtained through the completion of a Masters Degree in Business, Health Services Administration, or a related field and ten years of progressively responsible managerial experience in applicable area(s) of position responsibility, including a minimum of five years senior management level experience within a health care system setting or large multi-operational, complex corporate environment.
Depending upon assigned area of responsibility, position may require one or more of the following certifications: CHE; FACHE; license to practice law in the State of Arizona; eligible for or hold a current State of Arizona license to practice medicine; MD or Osteopathy Degree with appropriate Board Certification.
Experience working in a large, highly-matrixed, integrated delivery system in an executive level position. Proven track record of driving strategic and performance outcomes, as well as accomplishing organizational goals. Experience anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers. Proven experience in managing fiscally sound, profitable, efficient, and responsible operations. Strong financial and business acumen. Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Skilled in effectively engaging management level staff, employees, and stakeholders in order to build partnerships, achieve strategic initiatives, and attain organizational goals; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while approaching issues/problems by considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching management level staff by providing open and honest feedback that results in enhanced performance outcomes; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that demonstrate a strong commitment to organizational success; effectively allocating resources in order to accomplish organizational goals; quickly assessing and assimilating organizational and industry financial dynamics in order to make appropriate decisions and act quickly on new initiatives; negotiating win-win scenarios with outside vendors/partners while representing the organization in the best possible light; developing collaborative relationships with internal and/or external strategic partners and/or other applicable parties. Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: systems-thinker; innovative; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; community visibility and leadership; and passionate about continuous improvement and providing high quality service to our customers.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.