Dentist (2017:OTZ-186), Kotzebue, AK
Maniilaq Association is a P.L. 93-638 Native/Indian Preference/EEO Employer
Job Code: 2017:OTZ-186
Location: Kotzebue, Alaska
FT/PT Status: Full Time
Performs a full range of dental services at the Maniilaq Medical Center Dental Clinic, and on a periodic basis at the Maniilaq Association Services Areas. Reports directly to the Lead Dentist.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Displays a willing and helpful attitude to customers and staff. Professionally communicates in a warm, concerned, caring, and friendly manner over the telephone and in person.
- Performs a full range of dental services at the Maniilaq Health Center Dental Clinic, and on a periodic basis at the Kotzebue Senior Center and in the villages and schools, of Point Hope and the Northwest Arctic Borough, including:
- Dental and intraoral examination of adults and children, including evaluation of general medical condition, and recognition and diagnosis of pathological or irregular conditions. The results of such examination, and the risks benefits and alternatives to proposed treatment are expected to be communicated to the patient and/ or guardian in a warm, caring, professional manner that fully informs and allows the patient and/ or guardian to provide consent for treatment.
- Restoration of teeth with restorative materials and/ or crowns in accordance with accepted standards.
- Non-surgical endodontic procedures, including pulpotomy of primary teeth.
- Diagnosis, design, impression, registration, insertion, and adjustments necessary for the replacement of teeth by full and partial removable dentures, and fixed bridges.
- Scaling, root planning, and minor periodontal procedures for the treatment of periodontal disease.
- Surgical procedures, including: single and multiple tooth extraction; removal of uncomplicated impacted teeth, residual root tips, localized foreign bodies, and exostoses; biopsies.
- Corrective and palliative treatment of abnormal occlusion and acute soft tissue infection.
- Prescription of drugs and/or devices in accordance with accepted standards of practice.
- Participates in the training and development of skills of dental assistants.
- Participates in the activities of committees, or special initiatives as assigned.
- Participates in the development and delivery of programs to enhance the public awareness of dental health promotion, and participates in the surveillance of community water fluoridation programs as assigned.
- Participates in the development and implementation of programs designed to maximize recovery of third-party payment.
- Participates in programs designed to assure regulatory compliance required of Maniilaq Health Center and the dental clinic.
- Accesses, reads and responds as necessary to written material and e-mail on a daily basis.
- Demonstrates discretion in handling confidential information. Maintains confidentiality of patients and hospital-related information.
DDS or DMD degree from a dental school accredited by the commission on dental education of the American Dental Assocation. Current licensure to perform dental service in the State of Alaska, or waiver thereof. Eligibility for appointment to the medical staff at Maniilaq Health Center. Current CPR certificate. Must obtain ACLS certification within six months of hire. Ability and willingness to work independently and in a variety of settings including the hospital’s dental clinic and in remote communities using portable dental equipment. Must be willing and able to travel in small airplanes and carry at least 40 pounds of luggage. Inupiaq/English bilingual preferred.
Other Job Information (if applicable):
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people in this job.