Clinical Supervisor (LVN), San Francisco, CA
Join the Maitri Family
Maitri Seeking Clinical Supervisor (LVN) for the management and supervision of the LVN and CNA staff providing 24-hour clinical care for up to fifteen patients living in an HIV/AIDS residential care facility.
Residential Care for People Living with AIDS
Job Title: Clinical Supervisor
Reports To: Nursing Manager
Direct Reports: LVN and CNA Staff
Updated: July 2017
Position is primarily responsible for the management and supervision of the LVN and CNA staff providing 24-hour clinical care for up to fifteen patients living in an HIV/AIDS residential care facility. In addition to hiring, scheduling and staff retention, this position is also responsible for establishing and supporting a quality measures and performance improvement projects. This position requires tact, sensitivity and professionalism due to constant interaction with residents and families to guarantee their satisfaction.
Actively participates as a member of the Maitri management team.
Supervision and Training
- Recruits, hires, trains and retains LVN and CNA staff to ensure optimal shift coverage and high quality resident care.
- Conducts thorough and comprehensive orientation of all newly hired LVNs and CNAs.
- Provides direct supervision to LVN and CNA staff, ensuring compliance with and maximization of scope of practice for each discipline.
- Provides annual written evaluations and, as needed, immediate direction and feedback.
- Provides ongoing education to residents and staff regarding medication regimen.
- Provides supervision and training to the direct care staff regarding the clinical needs and physical care of residents.
- Coordinates both mandatory and optional staff trainings, with the support of Maitri's Facilities & Administration Manager to schedule the sessions, track attendance and document in personnel files, as appropriate.
- Incorporates Quality Management activities and outcomes into the clinical care process.
- Manages scheduling for the LVN and CNA staff using ReadySetWork.
- Manage CNA and LVN staff to minimize overtime and use of staff from temporary agencies.
- Manage staff to achieve minimal turn over.
- Assist management team in understanding labor cost variances.
Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement
- In collaboration with members of the Maitri management team and in coordination of any outside technical resources, develops quality indicators specific to clinical care. Directs/performs activities and data collection to identify trends and barriers. Develops performance improvement plans and monitors and adjusts plan to achieve desired outcomes.
- Identify opportunities to employ existing and new tools to improve efficiency and/or effectiveness in resident care and administrative workflows.
- Regulatory Compliance: Responsible for compliance by assigned staff with Residential Care Facility for Chronically Ill/AIDS (RCFCI) regulations through the California Department of Social Services, as well as State Department of Industrial Relation, Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Blood borne Pathogens Standard.
- In coordination with Maitri management team, develops and revises policies and procedures specifically related to clinical care.
- As a member of the Maitri management team, participates in the oversight of and policy decision-making for Maitri.
- Provides support to Nursing Manager and other staff in addressing urgent care issues and medical management.
- Perform other duties within scope of practice as needed to reasonably assure quality care for Facility's residents.
- Works in collaboration with other Maitri staff to identify needs and develop training for LVN and CNA staff.
- Works in collaboration with the Nursing Manager and the rest of the Maitri management team to ensure top quality program operations at Maitri.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including one weekend day per week and occasional off-hour shifts as dictated by the needs of Maitri.
- Ability to be on call, as needed, dependent upon the needs of Maitri.
- Degree or certificate in a health, social service or management-related field preferred.
- Certification in Quality Management a plus.
CLINICAL LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION:
- Current American Heart Association CPR certification.
- Current licensure as an LVN in the State of California
- Dual licensure as CNA preferred.
- Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of management-level responsibilities including: staff supervision and scheduling.
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking.
- Excellent documentation and clinical skills, ability to set priorities, work independently, excellent follow-up, work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds, including non-nursing staff and community providers.
- Knowledge of general nursing theory and practice.
- Demonstrated ability to multi task while coordinating patient care services
- Computer skills necessary. Familiarity with electronic medical records essential in performance of this job role.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and flexibility to adapt to new information technology needs.
- Experience working with LGBT clients.
- Experience working with clients with chronic illness, HIV, behavioral health and substance use issues.
- Knowledge of HIV medications, mental health interventions, and harm reduction interventions.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, residents, families, physicians, customers, and the general public.
- Minimum two years working in a supervisory capacity in Home Health, Hospice or Long Term Care.
- Minimum two years working with individuals with HIV/AIDS; including those with co-morbidities of mental illness and/or substance use.
- Demonstrated experience with clinical quality and education initiatives.
- Familiarity with ReadySetWork scheduling application and Extended Care Pro (ECP) electronic medical record software.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
This job requires you to use your personal cell phone for your work at Maitri and you will be reimbursed monthly the amount stated in Maitri's Personnel Policies for this usage.
Salary range is $57,500 to $68,000.
Send cover letter and resume to Bill Musick.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: requires sitting, standing, walking, squatting, bending, waist twisting, kneeling, climbing stairs, reaching up to shoulder height, lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling up to 20 lbs., fine finger manipulation, gross manipulation, simple/power grasp, repetitive hand/arm use; exposure to latex; use of protective equipment, ability to walk one-quarter mile; ability to climb two flights of stairs, have adequate vision to describe contents of a room, client condition etc.
OSHA CATEGORY: This position performs tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues. All employees must use Universal Precautions. Maitri will provide the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment. All employees are offered the opportunity to receive the Hepatitis B vaccination series.