Advice Nurse, Martinez, CA
Contra Costa County Health Services is currently seeking experienced individuals to fill full-time Advice Nurse (per diem) positions that assess patients' health needs according to acuity, provide telephone advice or education to the patient, and refer to outside services or schedule appointments for medical services in the County system as appropriate.
Reporting to the Advice Nurse Supervisor for the Contra Costa Health Plan, the incumbent will:
- Interview patient or caller by phone to assess the problem, focusing on physiological and cognitive status
- Utilize the nursing process to establish priorities and initiate nursing intervention
- Make appointments, provide advice or refer patients to other services
- Inform physician of issues needing attention that are outside the scope of Advice Nurse protocols
- Make decisions about patient care based on consideration of risk management, patient confidentiality, patient rights, informed consent, safety and advance directives
- Communicate with medical staff to coordinate patient care
- Contact the Health Plan Authorization office to determine benefit limitations
- Instruct patients for home care of self or family members and for prevention of future episodes
- Advise patients about medications and prospective medical procedures
- Update computer entries to reflect current patient registration data
- Document telephone encounters according to standards and protocols
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS include possession of a valid CA RN license, 2 years of full-time experience, or its equivalent, as a telephone triage Registered Nurse; OR a Registered Nurse in one of the following areas of an acute care hospital: medical surgical unit, labor and delivery unit, post-partum unit, pediatric unit, intensive or critical care unit, emergency department; OR a Registered Nurse in a surgery center or urgent care facility; OR a Registered Nurse in a maternal child health, home health or public health setting or in nursing case management.Must successfully pass a pharmacology exam administered by the Contra Costa Health Services Department and be able to type at a speed of 30 words per minute.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Application Filing: All applicants must clearly demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications provided on the job announcement. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To view the typical tasks, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with this position, please visit our website at https://www.cccounty.us/hr to view the detailed job description. EOE
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time or its equivalent experience as a telephone triage Registered Nurse; Or a Registered Nurse in one of the following areas of an acute care hospital: medical surgical unit, labor and delivery unit, postpartum unit, pediatric unit, intensive or critical care unit, emergency department; Or a Registered Nurse in a surgery center or urgent care facility; Or a Registered Nurse in a maternal child health, home health, public health setting, or in nursing case management.
Other Requirements: 1) Must successfully pass a pharmacology exam administered by the Contra Costa Health Services Department. 2) Must be able to type at a speed of 30 words per minute.
License Required: Possession of a Valid License as a Registered Nurse in the State of California.