Director, Core Systems Support, French Camp, CA
DIRECTOR, CORE SYSTEMS SUPPORT
AT HEALTH PLAN OF SAN JOAQUIN
Under limited supervision, responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of strategic and operational objectives and plans according to best practice, internal and external requirements, and in support of organizational strategy. Collaborating with IT and business stakeholders to design, implement and maintain the operational infrastructure, the Director of CSS also ensures that the computing infrastructure of HPSJ adequately addresses information security, privacy and disaster recovery. Work is varied and complex, and requires a moderate degree of discretion and independent judgment.
- IT Operations staff and security.
- Identifies, develops, plans and executes strategies, collaborating with peers and others to ensure effective integration; oversees the development and implementation of department goals and actions plans.
- Primary responsibilities include the development and implementation of infrastructure solutions that enable the organizations business processes.
- Oversees the maintenance, implementation and development of systems based on existing architecture and environments to solve business issues while adhering to policies, standards and protocols for HPSJ’s.
- Contributes to the analysis and evaluation of new technologies and products to determine their feasibility and ability to fulfill user and business requirements as established by the company for the long and mid-term. Implements selected technologies and products and is responsible for ensuring that the team possesses skills appropriate to the implementation and maintenance of those technologies and products.
- Develops “buy vs. build” analysis, rationale and recommendation for new or replacement system decision making.
- Develops and maintains functional and technical specifications, statements of work (SOWs), and test plans, pertaining to the development and/or implementation of business software systems.
- Is responsible for the integration of HIPAA and DHCS security regulations in all deliverables; develops and maintains policies and procedures for IT Ops.
- Develops, maintains and leads the IT standards review board to ensure standardization among software and hardware solutions. Implements and maintains the ITIL framework throughout IT Ops.
- Develops and manages the annual IT budget.
- Promotes and maintains, and ensures that direct reports promote and maintain an environment that supports HPSJ’s strategy, vision, mission and values.
- Hires, develops, supervises and retains, and ensures direct reports hire, develop, supervise and maintain, an adequate and competent staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the integration of complex systems including external data interchange (EDI).
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong knowledge of secure systems.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles and methods of all phases of systems development lifecycle methodology.
- Knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of hardware and software.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles and methods of system testing.
- Ability to conceptualize and apply technology to the business model or process.
- Strong knowledge of Windows systems, network and domain architecture.
- Strong knowledge of the HIPAA rules for security and transaction code sets.
- Experience with HIPAA compliance in a health care organization.
- Financial acumen: Interprets and applies understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Manages complexity: Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Decision quality: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Strategic mindset: Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies; knowledge of the strategic alignment of IT solutions with business objectives.
- Drives results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Ensures accountability: Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Is skilled at considering different viewpoints and understanding the implications of each for the customer, for the business and for all its units.
- Strong collaboration skills, including but not limited to the ability to create and foster a collaborative work environment, and organize people and resources to solve problems and identify opportunities.
- Strong skills in budget development and management.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals at all levels inside and outside of HPSJ.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate professionally and persuasively to diverse individuals and groups inside and outside of HPSJ.
- Ability to translate tech-speak into the language of business solutions.
- Advanced presentation skills, including but not limited to the ability to tailor presentations to a specific audience, be persuasive and identify key messages.
- Advanced assessment and analytical skills, including the ability to synthesize, distill concepts, draw conclusions and identify implications.
- Builds networks: Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside of the organization.
- Organizational savvy: Maneuvers comfortably through complex policy, process and people-related organizational dynamics.
- Persuades: Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
- Manages ambiguity: Operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Resourcefulness: Secures and deploys resources effectively and efficiently; organizes people and resources to solve problems and identify opportunities.
- Plans and aligns: Plans and prioritizes work for self and others to meet commitments aligned with organization goals.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage organizational-wide projects to successful conclusion.
- In-depth knowledge of change management theory, with ability to anticipate and implement effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and support HPSJ’s vision, mission, values and strategy, integrate into management practices, and foster their manifestation among staff.
- Strong management skills, including but not limited to the ability to supervise staff in a manner that maximizes employee performance and business results.
- Intermediate skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook.
- Ability to speak and be understood in English.
- Ability to handle confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Subject matter knowledge in the functional areas of health care insurance (i.e. benefits, claims adjudication, member/provider demographic data management, medical management, and finance.
- Knowledge of healthcare specific computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of the principles of health care systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, mathematics or related; and
- At least ten years working with and supporting business and/or technology users; and
- At least five years of experience in IT Operations; and
- At least three years of working in ITIL framework; and
- At least three years of experience with healthcare information technology; and
- Experience with both Agile and Waterfall development methodologies; and
- Experience with the principles of service oriented architecture (SOA) design and implementation; and
- At least six years in IT management; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s Degree in Business.
- CISSP or CISM.